Author Topic: Ingraham - 2008  (Read 19207 times)

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jeffrey Stephenson Design
Re: Ingraham - 2008
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »

The veneering is progressing.  Here you can see my "crack line" behind the front panel that has been sanded and buffed with steel wool so it is darker than the rest of the case.

A little something red peeking out from behind.  Isn't that the way it always happens?

Clamping operations when veneering on a curve.  Almost art in itself.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »

Here's my goodies from Crucial.  The larger box is an external enclosure kit for a 2.5" hard drive.  Next is 4GB of DDR2 (2 x 2GB) and finally, the big daddy....a 64GB solid state hard drive.  I got the enclosure because it has a 3.5" bay mounting option that I might use in the project. 

Finished veneering.

The wood is going to get seriously dark (and hard to photograph) after I start to apply the finish

This post brought to you by:

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

This is after a single coat of lacquer sanding sealer.  I don't do stains.  This is the natural color.  This photo was taken with natural light and no flash.

I use sanding sealer mainly to highlight the flaws like glue marks and high points.  It also lets me cheat and look ahead to see how it will look when finished.  :D

The VIA VB8001 mini-ITX mainboard.  Now and then the gods let me play with Unobtainium and this is a nice chunk of it.  The new VIA Nano CPU (this one a 1.6GHz variety) mated to a 16x PCIe slot and 4GB of DDR2.

Test fitting.  I need the board installed because I have to modify the back of my "grill" to relieve some internal interferences.

Meanwhile, back at the grill...

This is my disassembled louvered structure called "the grill".  I sanded down every side of all 37 pieces that make up the structure.  I'm preparing to glue the whole thing together...finally.

The 2.5" SSD is screwed into a backplate as I begin construction of the world's most expensive/elaborate 2.5/3.5" drive mount adapter.

The backplate slides into the brushed stainless steel carrier and the end cap is screwed into place.

The 3.5" hot swap port is attached to where the hard drive should go.  The carrier is "plugged in".

The device is ready to go.  The push button ejects the carrier and there is an LED activity light mounted to the center section.  Woo hoo!  Light feature!

Why? you ask....well I would have had to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and a 2.5" SATA power cable adapter.  Now I don't.  The 3.5" hot swap section takes a plain floppy power cable.  Besides, there's that blinky fancy light feature that fulfills my case modding requirements in that area.  8)

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »

Here I'm analyzing the interferences that the installed motherboard w/ memory modules creates with the back of the grill.

Not as bad as I expected.  The memory doesn't come into play at all.  I had to modify these two pieces to clear a few caps, the front panel pin connector and the CPU fan power plug.

I spent most of the weekend trimming each of the 28 edges that make up the vent holes.  This shot shows the supports flush to the front to better illustrate the work.

Here the supports are pushed, or indented, 3/8" into the structure creating the louver effect.

Slightly angled upward causes the vent holes to vanish.  The drawn-on circles will be sanded off.

To create the center circle I took 3/8" stock, cut and carved the edges, and inserted them into the matrix.

Finished center circle minus the top arch.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »

I'm finally getting to the grill glueing.  I have put together the 37 pieces exactly as I want them and lightly spray painted the still clamped up structure.

Taking the structure apart layer by layer.

Revealing shadows where the pieces need to go back together after a light coating of wood glue.

verything back together again for a good drying.  I left the uppermost support layer out of the structure because it will be used to shim the grill into the case.  The big unknown here is how much height the 15 layers of glue will add to the grill structure.

I thought it was time to discuss my inspiration for this case mod.  This is the 1946 Stromberg Carlson model 1110H radio.  The two things that attracted me to this design (besides the wrap-around louvers) are the gently curving roof and the foot structure.  This was the end of the art deco era and the beginning of the streamlined era when curves and other aircraft-inspired styling cues came into fashion.

The wooden case was designed and built for Stromberg Carlson by the Ingraham Co.  The two photos above were captured off of ebay a year apart.  Part of the reason I was convinced to emulate this design is the fact that I still liked the radio's style a year later.

The big controversy at the moment is whether I should include the "top strap" or leave it off.  I am leaning toward putting it on because I like the contrast that it brings.  I even considered doing the strap in mahogany or cherry but the cross-directed wood grain looks pretty good IMHO. 

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »

After two coats of satin finish brush-on lacquer and about five coats of industrial aluminum spray paint on the grill.  Long, long way to go on both pieces but it has allowed me to envision the mocked-up top strap better.  The strap is unfinished and just loosely laid out.  Wow, there is such a difference between the raw and finished walnut.  I think it is the lighting.

After great deliberation and agonizing about the cooling system I decided to go with the PCI slot blower fan solution.  Embedding fan(s) into the front vents would have been cool.  Cutting fan holes in the back was obvious.  This is an Evercool Fox-1 Guided Missile. Mission Destroy according to the label. Hmmm??? 

It matches the rest of the red/black theme going on and bolts right in.  I'm going to build up the support structure because I don't trust that UPS will allow the blower to stay in place during shipping.  That's experience talking and also why I won't install a video card....yet.

I even considered Dremeling out part of back panel including the PCI brackets and installing a 120mm but I want those slots.  There is room for two 60mm fans side by side or maybe a radiator. :idea:

This is how I make circles.  I needed a 3 1/4" circle so I rough cut some wood, set up the drill and ground it down against some sandpaper.  It might need to be a little thinner...no problem with my poor man's lathe.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »

My modding completely wrecked the Silverstone case's closure system so I have to invent my own.  This is a stainless steel brad-mount T-nut.  I used industrial strength super glue to adhere it to the case.  I followed that up with  small sheet metal screws driven through the T-nut base into the case.  Finished up by Dremeling off the sheet metal screw threads sticking out the other side. 

Repeat on both sides of the case.  This is a stainless steel 10-24 machine screw driven through a hole in the case into the T-nut.  Also shown is the "screw head hider" as I call it.

The hider is snapped into place.

I'm doing these small tasks while waiting for various coats of lacquer and paint to dry.  My lacquering  process will involve at least a dozen coats each being sanded by progressively finer and finer sandpaper.

More clamping sculpture.  I made up some foot pads by gluing up two pieces of wood to the proper height.  I clamped down the four resulting pads into this shape.

Temporarily glued them into the proper place using rubber cement.  Glued up the footer skirting pieces using the pads as backing support.  The pads protrude 1/16" out past the skirting so they are the sole load bearers.

Yup.  More clamping sculpture.  There are 18 pieces of wood that make up the footer.

The footer after a coat of sanding sealer in preparation for the first coat of gloss black.spray paint.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

This is something I built from scrap wood for the sole purpose of fighting UPS's evil plans for destruction.

The PCI slot blower is mounted to the case's aluminum frame with a single screw.  It wouldn't last 50 feet down the road in the back of a UPS truck.

My temporary support bracket will get two screws into it up from the bottom.  :eeek:  The arms grasp the blower with a friction fit.  Hmm.. I think I will paint it red.

I lost count but I think I finished up with ten coats of lacquer.  Before the final coat I used a few of the wife's Emory boards (or as I prefer, sandpaper-on-a-stick) and knocked down all the edges and corners.  Sharp edges are more prone to damage from blunt force objects (like UPS employees).

These first two photos were taken in artificial light.  The last two are done in natural.  The burl came out interesting and I'm glad I used it.

Finished up with #0000 steel wool and will eventually hit it with a couple of coats of Johnson's Paste Wax.

This is a satin finish so I stopped just short of the pumice rubbing step required to go full gloss.  I'm not a big fan of gloss.  Looks too much like fake plastic to me.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »

I'm getting close to the end when I'm finishing up the crack line.  I have left the veneer hanging over the edges of both mating surfaces.  I stick a strip of thin 320 grit sandpaper between the surfaces and work it like dental floss back and forth until the case closing screws line back up and thread easily.  If you can't see the line then my work is done. :p

I am playing around with my laser waterslide decals.  I tried to get a silver-colored version that would contrast with the dark wood but...no go.  Instead of wasting it I placed it on the backside.  I need to find a laser printer that prints the color white.  That is a very rare beast.

The Ingraham at 90% complete.  I still have some painting to do on the footer because I got a bad can of spray paint.

The "Ingraham" water slide decal will (hopefully) go on the bottom left hand panel.  It needs something there.

All of the walnut is the same color.  It shows up different sometimes only because of the lighting.

This last photo is kind of my favorite because it shows the continuity of grain in the center strap as it transitions from front to top. 

LOL...after all that BS about the louvers hiding the vent ports...it turns out the reflections of the openings are getting bounced off the top of the fins.  Oh well....it sounded good at the time.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
Ingraham @ 99%.  I have only the front emblem to deal with and that's apparently going to take time.  One version I'm looking at:

Backside shot showing my new rheostat.  I'll take any opportunity to add something knurled.

I'll be taking the "lid" back off soon to photograph the interior so I left off the case closing screw covers for now.

I disassembled the entire computer and put it back together using matching screws and Permatex Threadlock (medium strength).

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

Specs:

VIA VB8001 motherboard w/16x PCI-e
VIA Nano CPU @ 1.6 GHz - 1MB L2 cache, 17W TDP, 100mW @ idle
4GB Crucial DDR2 667 memory
64GB Crucial SSD
Silverstone 60W PSU
Silverstone LC06 LaScala case (modified)
Evercool Fox-1 system blower @ 42CFM (rheostat control)
Ubuntu 8.10 OS