Author Topic: Ayr - 2013  (Read 14003 times)

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jeffrey Stephenson Design
Ayr - 2013
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
Here is the start to my latest custom computer project. The name Ayr was chosen because of the fanless air cooling that is the center of this project. Literally, as you will find out later.

The objective is to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a fanless, solid state, no moving parts, dead silent HTPC system.

Gigabyte Z77 Mini-ITX board.

Silverstone HE02 Heatsink. Nearly 1 Kg of cooling goodness. 

Intel i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ayr - 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »

Received a fresh batch of mahogany. It comes in a 15 sheet pack.

I call it veneer but it is really dimensional lumber. It is 1/32" (.8 mm) thick and 3 inches wide. I often have to splice sheets together but that is easy because they are laser cut.

Pieced together a template cut from white poster paper. What do you call that stuff on your side of the planet? I've also heard it called construction paper and card stock. This is a technique I use often.

The piece will fit here. I'll be cutting out two identical sheets of thin aircraft grade birch plywood from the template, One will go where shown and another on top of the heatsink.

I'll be robbing some parts from other projects over the weekend to get this thing fired up. I need to get a handle on what the temps are for this "bare" configuration. I'll also check out the real difference between horizontal and vertical orientation.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »

Using the template as a guide I cut out 2 identical sheets of 1/8" (3 mm) 6-ply birch plywood.

Cut out a rough shape using a hole saw and round wood file.

Finished it with my hand rasp and 100 grit emory board.

Did the same to the top piece.

Dry fit everything and made a few adjustments.

Made up some alignment/glue blocks for each corner.

Did the same for the top. I'll be doing a lot of similar mirror image work between the two sheets in order to correctly assemble the parts that will connect the two.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »

Continued the blocking for the corner/vent duct supports.

Mirror imaged.

Four corner supports.

Corner supports placed.

With vent ducts installed. Side view.

3/4 view.

Back view

Front view

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »

Bored out some vent holes to allow hot air from the motherboard section to flow upward and out through the heatsink area.

Depending on testing, I can open up these vents much further.

The top is left unglued. The big issue in doing this wooden enclosure is to compensate for the expansion of the heatsink. My solution is to start the computer as you see it and get it to its highest temp possible. Then I'll glue the top plate in place while maintaining the high temp. At least that's the idea.

Un-boxing ceremony. I got this package today from Intel containing their new Series 520 "Cherryville" SSD.

This post is brought to you by...

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »

Template for cutting another plywood sheet. That makes three the same size.

Hot ayr generated in the motherboard section of the case will rise and escape through one of four roof vent holes.

OK. I won't do the "ayr" thing anymore.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

Mounting the motherboard to the sled.

Dry fitting the I/O plate frame. A perfect fit without any adjustments. That was coincidental but I'll take it. Inspector #2 agrees.

The 150W Pico PSU is the last piece of the puzzle.

The center decorative piece will be chrome. I'm using some scrap PVC pipe as a stand-in for size and placement.

This post brought to you by:

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »

I had to re-do the I/O plate frame. The ultra-thin upper frame member is actually attached to the bottom of the heatsink shroud and will come off with it when removed.

The PCIE slot is gone. This project is all about the HD4000 onboard graphics so it will not be missed.

Even though the Silverstone HE-02 is a humongous heatsink it is still mostly air. I resist trimming excess wood lengths until I absolutely have to. Lessons learned.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »

The base.

Added a lot of material to reinforce the shroud and to attempt to tame the asymmetric design of the heatsink. Even the deep center pockets of the heatsink (used to insert a long screwdriver down to attach the heatsink to the MB) are not symmetric as I had assumed. I had to widen the structure by 1/4" to offset my assumption.

There are three parts to the case. The base, the heatsink shroud and the shell. This is the beginning of the shell construction.

The "lid" to the shroud switches roles and becomes the anchor to the shell structure.

The trinity.

The shell is actually constructed around the shroud. No reason to take any measurements. The result is a zero tolerance fit.

The shell is almost ready for its sheathing.

Demonstration of how the parts fit togther.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »

Cut sheets of plywood with a considerable margin all around.

I'm using 1/32" (.8 mm) aircraft grade birch plywood. Crazy expensive. Having equipment sponsors allows me to invest my own money in quality materials and tools and I'm very grateful for that.

All four sides glued up. Drying time was about 12 hours in total. Trimmed up the side edges but left the top and bottom edges for later.

Upside down shot that highlights the bottom vent system. There is a 1/4" gap all around the base of the enclosure that can only be seen from this vantage point.

I/O plate frame version 3.0. The space to the right of the plate will be the mounting spot for the DC power plug and power switch.

Some inside framing shots. Easy to see the rough un-trimmed edges around the bottom.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
Still scratching your head? Maybe this will help....

I call this photo "One of Four".

Each opening will take aprox. 2-3 hours to make.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
This is a milestone in the project. I wanted to get it to a "rolling chassis" as they say. Something that works but is devoid of decoration. This allows me to "squint" at it a while and maybe see what direction it should go.

What to do with the top is the biggest mystery. I want to go big but no one idea is talking to me at the moment.

Yes. It looks like a small space heater. I'm not sure it could come out looking any different considering what I'm attempting.

The biggest issue (so far) is the ugliness around the control panel hole. I need to work on this. Interesting internal view of the lower vent system.

I'm thinking aluminum shroud, mahogany shell, flat black base and a chrome center tube. Probably a matching chrome tube for the back or even a lit-up acrylic rod for a subtle lighting feature.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

Playing around with a domed roof look. I like the idea of adding a curve to the design. The "roof" is a piece of scrap plywood that doesn't extend all the way to the back but good enough to see what's what. Note also the interior shot showing how the corner columns open up to the heatsink.

SSD mounting and placement.

Finally got around to starting it up for the first time. I decided to run the basic (free) 3DMark11 benchmark and scored what you see here. It probably sucks but I only wanted to stress the system with it.

Screenshot of HWMonitor after running the above test. The heatsink got fairly warm to the touch but I wouldn't call it hot.

In addition to the above I played a video on Hulu and a 720p .mkv file. The heatsink was only slightly warm to the touch...I think...I wasn't really sure.

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
I've gotten mixed reactions to the domed roof idea. It will happen because I'm doing it in a way that makes it removable. I''l toss it if it turns out ugly.

Spent the last two days doing some preliminary veneering.

My veneering station...alfresco.

Doesn't look like 10 hours of work does it?  22 pieces of mahogany veneer cut, glued, clamped and trimmed.

Upside down photo to show that I apply veneer to surfaces that will never be seen...unless you turn it upside down of course. :)

slipperyskip

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
Control panel construction and assembly...

First step in my aluminization alchemy process. Turning wood into aluminum is a long, labor intensive process and can get you burned at the stake. :)

Veneered the back of the piece and test fit the two parts together. The mahogany is still raw and unfinished.   

The aluminum still has a rough woodgrain look to it but the process has barely started.